We’ll be closing our live page shortly. You can read more in our main news story here and here’s a reminder of today’s announcement by the US, UK and Australian leaders:
- US President Joe Biden confirmed the US will send three Virginia-Class submarines to Australia, with the potential to sell up to two more if needed
- He said the US will partner with the UK to build a new “SSN-Aukus” submarine based on British design and incorporating US technologies
Australian Prime Minister Albanese described the Aukus agreement as the “biggest single investment in Australia’s defence capability” and said it will offer opportunities for Australian workers
- British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said thousands of new jobs will be created in places like Barrow and Derby to help with the design and creation of the submarines
- Sunak cited Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, China’s growing assertiveness, and the “destabilising behaviour” of Iran and North Korea as reasons for strengthening resilience
- UK engineering giant Rolls-Royce will provide the reactors for the nuclear-powered submarines, creating jobs at its business in England’s East Midlands
Today’s live page was written by Nadine Yousif, Emily McGarvey, Andre Rhoden-Paul, Rob Corp, Victoria Lindrea, Mattea Bubalo and Jasmine Taylor-Coleman.